Turkey casserole is all the convenience you might picture bundled in the most completely golden crust. It is velvety, filled with veggies and ideal for remaining turkey
Our chicken casserole was among our greatest posts in 2015. We had a lot of e-mails around Thanksgiving about utilizing remaining turkey rather of chicken that we chose a turkey casserole required it’s own put on the blog site.
We are making whatever from scratch From the flaky crust to the turkey and veggie filling, it’s all homemade and we are going to stroll you through each action.
It took me a while to determine the ideal crust for a tasty pie that was durable adequate to hold up under the filling however still break down flaky scrumptious. When I figured that out and the consistency of the filling, the very best pot recipe ever happened. Now we are doing a turkey variation and you’re going to like it!
Ingredients for Turkey Casserole
The ingredients list for this recipe may look long initially look, however you will most likely have most them on hand currently. Make a drop in the fruit and vegetables area and get a couple of fresh veggies and herbs, and you’ll be all set! And do not forget the turkey! I like to utilize the leftovers from our oven roasted turkey, however you might utilize whatever prepared turkey you like best.
Here is your component list:
- Ice Water
- Chicken Broth
- Entire Milk
The measurements for each component can be discovered in the recipe card listed below.
How to Make Turkey Casserole
Action 1: Make the Turkey Casserole Crust
Like I discussed, the crust for a casserole needs to be unique, and this crust is the very best of the very best. We have an entire post on it, so head to our preferred pie crust recipe post for all the information and responses to all your pie crust concerns.
Here are the fundamental actions:
- Location all the dry ingredients in a bowl and blend well.
- Include the butter and blend together utilizing a pastry mixer.
- Include the water a couple of spoonfuls at a time and stir up until it comes together.
- PRO POINTER: It will look crumbly however will hold together when you squeeze it.
- Different the dough into 2 balls.
- Wrap each in cling wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator.
- Take out among dough balls from the refrigerator and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Roll it out and location in the pie plate.
- Preheat the oven.
Action 2: Preparation the Turkey Casserole Filling
This is casserole filling excellence, and I’m going to stroll you through each action for making it.
- Location the carrots, corn and peas in a sauce pan and cover them with water. Prepare them over medium heat up until soft. Drain them and include them to a big bowl with the turkey.
- Include the butter to a dutch oven or big pot over medium high heat and include the onions, celery and garlic and cook up until clear.
- Include the mushrooms.
- Stir in the flour, spices and herbs.
- Include the broth and milk and stir continuously up until thick. Get rid of from the heat.
- Include the turkey and prepared veggies (from action 1) and blend together.
Action 3: Put Together the Turkey Casserole
- Put the filling into the bottom pie crust in the pie meal.
- Present the 2nd ball of dough for the leading crust and put on top of the filling.
- Pinch the edges shut and cut slits in the top of the pie crust.
- PRO POINTER: Cutting slits in the leading enables the pie to vent and prepare appropriately.
- Make the egg wash and brush all over the leading crust.
- PRO POINTER: This provides the leading crust that lovely golden color.
Action 4: Bake the Casserole
- Location the pie in the oven and bake for thirty minutes.
- Pull the pie out of the oven when done and permit it to sit for a couple of minutes prior to slicing and serving.
Can Turkey Casserole Be Frozen Prior To Baking?
Turkey casserole can be prepared and frozen prior to or after baking. Freezing unbaked turkey casserole is better since the crust will bake up crisp and flaky, whereas a baked pie that has actually been frozen might lead to a soaked crust.
The Length Of Time Can An Unbaked Turkey Casserole Keep In The Freezer?
A frozen turkey casserole will keep for about 1 month
How Do You Bake A Frozen Turkey Casserole?
You need to bake the pie without defrosting initially. Brush the leading with an egg wash or cream and bake at 375 degrees up until browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes.
How to Reheat Turkey Casserole
To reheat, bake in a preheated oven at 300º. Cover edges with foil and let it heat up for 15-20 minutes or up until hot.
The Length Of Time Will Turkey Casserole Last?
Newly baked casserole will keep for 3-5 days in the fridge.
Can you utilize turkey rather of chicken in a casserole? Why, yes you can and you much better! It is among the my preferred methods to consume remaining turkey. Turkey casserole brings you all the homemade home cooking warm fuzzies!
More Remaining Turkey Recipes:
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Butter saltless
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 8-12 Tablespoons Ice Water
- 4 Cups Turkey prepared, meat got rid of from bones and cubed
- 1 Cup Carrots sliced
- 1 Cup Corn frozen
- 1 Cup Peas frozen
- 1/2 Onion yellow, minced
- 1/4 Cup Mushrooms minced
- 1 Stick Celery sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Mouthwatering fresh, sliced
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Thyme fresh
- 1 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2/3 Cup Entire Milk ( or whipping cream for an additional velvety casserole)
For the Crust:
Location the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and blend well.
Include the butter and utilizing a pastry cutter or 2 forks, mix up until the butter is pea sized.
Include the water, simply a couple of tablespoons at a time, stirring carefully with a fork up until the dough is simply coming together however is still crumbly. Test that the dough is all set by squeezing the dough in your hands up until it holds.
Smash the dough together and separate into 2 balls.
Wrap in cling wrap and rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Enable to remain for a couple of minutes and after that present dough.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Present half of the dough into the pie plate. Set pie plate and staying dough in cling wrap in the refrigerator.
For the Filling:
Location the carrots, corn and peas in a pan with simply adequate water to cover them. Heat over medium heat up until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain pipes.
Stir together the turkey and veggies in a bowl. Reserve.
In a big dutch oven or pot, include the butter and when melted include the onions, celery and garlic, cooking up until clear, about 3 minutes.
Include mushrooms and continue to prepare about 1 minute.
Stir in flour and spices, and herbs. Cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds.
Gradually include the broth and milk, stirring regularly up until thick. Get rid of from heat.
Stir in the turkey and veggies and put into a pie meal.
Roll the staying pie crust over the leading and pinch the edges shut. Cut slits in the top of the pie.
Blend together the egg and the water and brush everything over the leading crust.
Bake for thirty minutes at 425 degrees F, or up until golden brown.
Enable to cool somewhat and serve!
To reheat: Preheat oven to 300º. Cover edges of Casserole with foil. Heat 15-20 minutes, or up until hot.
Quantity Per Serving (1 piece)
Calories from Fat 252
% Daily Worth *
Fat 28g 43%
Hydrogenated Fat 16g 100%
Cholesterol 119mg 40%
Salt 990mg 43%
Potassium 411mg 12%
Carbs 45g 15%
Fiber 3g 13%
Sugar 5g 6%
Protein 19g 38%
Vitamin A 3696IU 74%
Vitamin C 14mg 17%
Calcium 62mg 6%
Iron 3mg 17%
* Percent Daily Worths are based upon a 2000 calorie diet plan.
KEEP IN MIND TO REGISTER FOR our FREE Oh Sugary Food Basil NEWSLETTER AND GET SIMPLE RECIPES PROVIDED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you attempt a recipe, please utilize the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a possibility to be included in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK|INSTAGRAM|PINTEREST| TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST MATERIAL, RECIPES AND STORIES.