Comfortable and reassuring Immediate Pot beef stew is a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs supper, made rapidly and quickly in the pressure cooker.
Why you’ll like it: Immediate Pot beef stew is a fast and hearty one-pot meal filled with fall-apart-tender beef, healthy veggies, and potatoes.
For how long it takes: simply 15 minutes of hands-on preparation, and your Immediate Pot does the rest.
Devices you’ll require: Immediate Pot or pressure cooker, and a bowl
Easy Immediate Pot Beef Stew
Immediate Pot beef stew has plenty of juicy beef, veggies, and potatoes, and it’s so fast to make. This pressure cooker recipe accomplishes all the inflammation and richness that features hours of cooking in a portion of the time. I like utilizing my Immediate Pot to prepare whatever from brief ribs to pulled pork, and now this delicious beef stew. It’s quick ending up being a household favorite.
This relaxing one-pot recipe is really a meal in one, produced cold days. The beef is fall-apart tender, soft enough to come apart with a fork, and the tastes of the broth are abundant and soul-warming.
Why You’ll Love This Immediate Pot Stew Recipe
- One pot. Whatever is prepared from start to complete in the Immediate Pot, for the best-tasting stew. Brown the beef utilizing the sauté function, dump in the remainder of the ingredients and go.
- Rich, hearty taste. Weeknight (or any night) home cooking does not get cozier than this Immediate Pot beef stew. The tastes of the beef roast and veggies socialize together, involved mouthwatering warm broth. It offers “finished up by a crackling fire under a blanket” vibes. The very best!
- Quick. With your Immediate Pot, there’s no requirement to prepare your stew for hours over low and sluggish heat in order to attain all that taste and tender beef. It accelerates the procedure, and it’s primarily hands-free.
Ingredients You’ll Require
I’ll get you begun on the recipe here and provide you some additional ideas. Scroll to the recipe card listed below the post with component quantities, directions, and nutrition details.
- Beef Chuck Roast — Chuck roast is my cut of option for beef stew (see listed below). You can purchase pre-chopped stew meat although I discover chuck roast is more affordable and it’s simple enough to cut into 1-inch cubes athome Keep in mind to cut a few of the excess fat away.
- Stew Spices— I toss the meat with my homemade beef stew spices mix. It’s a simple, mouthwatering mix of dried herbs and flavorings, plus flour to assist the beef sear. Additionally, you can utilize a mix of onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, celery seed, dried rosemary, and salt and pepper (quantities are consisted of in the recipe card).
- Olive Oil — For browning the beef. I suggest olive oil. Nevertheless, you can replace another kind of oil with a high smoke point.
- Stock or Broth— Low-sodium beef broth or stock, or stock without included salt is best. By doing this you can season your stew to taste without it ending up being too salted.
- Onions, Carrots, Celery— This vegetable mix includes taste and nutrition to the stew. I utilize frozen pearl onions for their size and sweet taste, and they likewise come currently peeled (benefit!). Do not hesitate to replace sliced yellow onions, if you choose.
- Potatoes— I make this stew with cut in half child potatoes due to the fact that they hold their shape well when prepared. Another choice is quartered russet potatoes, though prevent additional starchy potatoes, like Yukon Gold, as they tend to fall apart as soon as prepared. If you ‘d choose to make stew without potatoes, utilize sweet potatoes or parsnips rather.
- Diced Tomatoes— Canned diced tomatoes make the stew hearty and the broth pleasantly tasty, while bringing additional liquid to the pot.
- Peas— Fresh or frozen will work. You’ll include the peas right at the end so that they maintain their intense green color. If you do not like peas, do not hesitate to avoid them.
- Herbs— There’s absolutely nothing like the taste of fresh herbs. Bay leaf, fresh thyme, and fresh rosemary sprigs deepen the tastes of the beef stew, with fresh parsley sprayed in at the end. If you require to change fresh herbs with dried herbs, utilize one 3rd as much (dried herbs are more powerful).
- Cornstarch— If required, a slurry of cornstarch and water stirred into the stew at the end assists to thicken the husky broth into a gravy.
What’s the very best Cut of Beef to Utilize?
Beef chuck roast is the very best for beef stew. It’s simple to discover in the majority of supermarket and it’s a fairly economical cut of meat. Generally, chuck roast requires hours of low and sluggish cooking to soften (making it an excellent option for pot roast recipes). The Immediate Pot accelerate the softening procedure! The pressure cooker locks in the wetness and cooks the beef rapidly, for tender, completely prepared stew meat.
If you’re searching for another reassuring recipe to make with chuck roast, attempt beef barley soup.
How to Make Immediate Pot Beef Stew
This reassuring beef stew is best to make in the cooler months, without the dedication of simmering for hours on the stovetop. Here’s how to make a hearty stew in the pressure cooker:
Season and burn the beef. Initially, toss the beef pieces in stew spices to coat, then set the Immediate Pot to Sauté. Operating in batches, brown the beef on all sides with a little oil.
Deglaze. Later, eliminate the beef and deglaze the pot with a 1/4 cup of broth. Utilize a rubber or wood spatula to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Integrate and prepare. Next, include the beef back to the pot in addition to extra broth, sliced veggies, potatoes, diced tomatoes, and a bay leaf. Stir whatever together and seal the cover, then set the Immediate Pot to press cook on high for 35 minutes. Later, leave the pot to natural release for 10 minutes prior to by hand venting the rest. Bear in mind the hot steam!
Complete and serve. Open the cover and pluck out the bay leaf, then stir in the frozen (or fresh) peas. Change the pot back to Sauté. Lastly, stir in a slurry of cornstarch and water, and simmer gently till the broth thickens. Season to taste, spray in fresh parsley, and serve!
For how long Should I Pressure Prepare Beef Stew?
To soften the 1-inch cubes of beef in this recipe, you’ll require to prepare the stew for 35 minutes on handbook, or high pressure, followed by a 10-minute natural release. Keep in mind that the Immediate Pot takes an extra 17 to 20 minutes to come to pressure prior to the cooking time begins. The outcome is delicious, juicy beef and veggies that taste as though they have actually prepared for hours!
Tips for Success
Below are some last ideas for the very best beef stew:
- Brown the beef. Burning the beef prior to pressure cooking is necessary. It develops a delightful crust that secures all that juicy taste and brings richness to the stew. It’s 100% worth the additional effort, so do not avoid it.
- Deglaze the pot. You can deglaze the Immediate Pot with broth, or red wine if you choose. Ensure that you scrape up all of the stuck-on bits on the bottom of the pot (utilizing a non-metal spoon or spatula). That’s where all the taste is!
- Cut the meat and veggies into consistent pieces. Ensure that you aren’t cutting your beef and veggies too little. Really little pieces will get overcooked.
- Inspect the ingredients for doneness. After the cooking time has actually expired, examine the beef cubes with a fork to see if the meat is fall-apart tender. If it’s still hard, continue to simmer the stew on the most affordable Sauté function till the meat is appropriately tender.
Frequently Asked Questions
Beef chuck roast is a hard cut of meat, so it is essential to suffice into even-sized pieces prior to you prepare it. Stew meat can likewise end up being hard if it’s prepared too rapidly, so ensure that you spending plan sufficient time for the IP to come to pressure, cook, and after that naturally release later.
Yes, although technically chuck roast ends up being more tender the longer it cooks, it is possible to overcook meat in the Immediate Pot. You desire beef that’s delicious and juicy, not exaggerated! Follow the recipe and cooking times as directed for meat that’s completely prepared and fall-apart tender.
Definitely. If you would rather slow-cook your beef stew, attempt my recipe for crockpot beef stew rather. It’s a simple, hands-free approach likewise.
Make This Stew Recipe Your Own
Like a lot of my recipes, this Immediate Pot beef stew is entirely versatile to various diet plans and tastes. It’s tasty as is, however you can quickly modify the flavorings and ingredients to make this stew your own:
- Include more stewing veggies such as leeks, mushrooms, spinach, or cabbage.
- Adjust the herbs and flavorings to your preference. Include garlic powder or minced garlic, or a dash of Worcestershire sauce for more taste.
- Deglaze with red wine. Deglaze the pan with a half-cup of dry red white wine, like a Taxi Sauv, or gewurztraminer, like Pinot Grigio. Or, utilize beer. I make my stovetop beef stew utilizing a couple of generous glugs of beer to deglaze the pot, which works excellent.
- Make this stew Whole30 by leaving out the flour in the spices mix, and utilizing arrowroot powder in location of cornstarch as a thickener.
What to Serve With Beef Stew
Ultra-cozy beef stew requires crusty Dutch oven bread or beer bread for absorbing all that mouthwatering gravy-like broth. It’s a meal in itself, however often we include a side of crispy Brussels sprouts salad or tasty citrus salad. Cornbread muffins seasoned with cheddar and herbs are another household preferred!
For a hearty cold-weather meal, serve chunky beef stew over a bed of velvety mashed potatoes or homemade polenta. Couple with air fryer asparagus as a simple veggie side meal.
Naturally, absolutely nothing tops a hearty, home- prepared meal like a homestyle dessert. We like this simple apple crisp with ginger in the fall (served with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream).
Get a running start on this recipe by prepping the celery, carrots, onions, and herbs a day ahead. Slice and cool the veggies in an airtight container, and keep the sliced herbs independently till you’re all set to utilize them. You can prepare the beef stew spices mix ahead of time, too, and seal it in a container. It keeps in the kitchen for months.
Keeping and Reheating Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Once the stew has actually cooled, cool leftovers in a covered container for as much as 4 to 5 days. Reheat stew in the microwave in increments, or on the stovetop till warmed through.
- Freezer: Freeze remaining stew for as much as 6 months in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Keep in mind that the potatoes tend to get a bit mushy, and the gravy might separate as soon as defrosted. Thaw the stew over night in the refrigerator prior to reheating.
Did you make this? Make sure to leave an evaluation listed below and tag me @rachelcooksblog on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest!
Avoid your screen from going dark
Comfortable and reassuring Immediate Pot beef stew is a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs supper that the entire household will like. This timeless home cooking fasts and simple to make in the pressure cooker!
In a big bowl, integrate flour, onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, celery seed, and dried rosemary (see note). Toss cubed beef with experienced flour till all pieces are layered.
Heat Immediate Pot to Sauté. Include 1 tablespoon olive oil, and about half of the experienced meat. Brown on all sides (3 to 5 minutes overall), and eliminate to a plate or bowl. Repeat with staying oil and beef. Eliminate beef to plate.
Deglaze the within the pot by including 1/4 to 1/2 cup of broth. Utilizing a plastic or wood utensil, scrape all the brown bits off the bottom and sides of the pan.
Include the beef back to the Immediate Pot in addition to the remainder of the broth, onions, celery, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, and bay leaf. Stir to integrate.
Safe cover of Immediate Pot and turn valve to Seal. Set for 35 minutes on Pressure Prepare (or Handbook, High Pressure). Immediate Pot will take 17 to 20 minutes to come to pressure. After cooking, let pressure release naturally (simply put, simply leave it alone) for 10 minutes. Thoroughly launch any staying pressure after 10 minutes by turning valve to Vent. It might splash so cover it gently with a towel.
Eliminate bay leaf. Include frozen peas and stir to integrate.
Turn Immediate Pot to Sauté. In a little bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water till no clumps stay. Gradually stir into stew and cook till thickened.
Stir in parsley. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as wanted prior to serving.
- Makes about 12 cups.
- If wanted, replace 4 1/2 tablespoons of my beef stew spices mix for the flour, onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, celery seed, and dried rosemary.
- Whole30: Leave out the flour. Brown the meat as directed in therecipe When the stew is completed cooking, thicken as wanted with arrowroot powder rather of cornstarch.
- Storage & & Reheating: Cool and cool remaining beef stew in a covered container. It will keep for 4 to 5 days. To reheat stew, microwave private parts in 30 2nd increments till warmed through. Reheat bigger parts on the range in a pan or frying pan over medium heat.
Serving: 1.5 cups, Calories: 328 kcal, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Protein: 26 g, Fat: 17 g, Hydrogenated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9 g, Trans Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 78 mg, Salt: 532 mg, Potassium: 893 mg, Fiber: 4 g, Sugar: 4 g, Vitamin A: 5497 IU, Vitamin C: 22 mg, Calcium: 58 mg, Iron: 3 mg
This site offers approximate nutrition details for benefit and as a courtesy just. Nutrition information is collected mainly from the USDA Food Structure Database, whenever offered, or otherwise other online calculators.