Including a lattice crust to the top of your pie might appear a little difficult, however it’s in fact rather simple Here’s how we do it.
See the Video
Associated: You can utilize this pie crust on our blueberry pie recipe!
How We Include a Lattice Crust to Our Pies
Directions listed below match picture above from delegated right:
- On a gently floured surface area, present pie crust into a 13-inch circle. Cut circle into 3/4-inch large strips. A pizza cutter is terrific for this, however a sharp knife will likewise work.
- Lay 5 dough strips over the filled pie parallel to each other and equally spaced. Usage longer strips in the center and much shorter towards the edges of the pie.
- Position pie in front of you with dough strips dealing with away. Thoroughly fold back the 2nd and 4th strips towards you then lay a much shorter strip of dough perpendicular to other dough strips.
- Unfold 2nd and 4th dough strips over the brand-new strip.
- Fold back the very first, 3rd and 5th strips towards you then lay another strip of dough throughout the pie. Unfold the very first, 3rd and 5th strips over the brand-new strip.
- Repeat actions 3 through 6 up until pie is covered with a lattice crust.
- Cut dough strips overhanging the pie by 3/4 inch. Scissors are valuable for this.
- Usage fingers to fold edges of dough below itself so that it produces a thicker, 1/4-inch border that rests on the lip of the meal.
- Crimp edges by pushing the guideline finger of one hand versus the edge of the dough from the within the meal while carefully pushing with 2 knuckles of the other hand from the exterior. Then, cool dough a minimum of 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes before baking. (For a glossy crust, brush on egg wash before baking).
Keep Things Cold
It is necessary that pie dough remains cold while you deal with it– that’s what makes it additional flaky as soon as baked. If at any point the dough ends up being rowdy or warm, take a break and cool for 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes then continue to include the lattice top.
You Might Likewise Like
Attempt including a lattice top to our Cherry Pie or Blueberry Pie Recipe. Both are best for this. Likewise, you can have a look at our preferred pie crust recipe, here (it’s best for making a lattice crust). Or, have a look at our recipe video listed below.
How to Make a Lattice Pie Crust
Including a lattice crust to the top of your pie might appear a little difficult, however it’s in fact rather simple.
Makes 1 pie
See United States Make the Recipe
You Will Require
Pie dough for leading and bottom 9-inch pie, cooled (see our Flaky Pie Crust Recipe)
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon whipping cream
1 tablespoon coarse sugar, for garnish
1 Present half of the pie dough to fit an 8- or 9-inch pie meal. To avoid the dough from sticking and to guarantee consistent density, roll from the center of the dough outwards and keep raising and turning the dough a quarter turn as you roll. Look for the appropriate size by inverting the pie meal over the dough. The dough ought to have to do with 2 inches bigger than the meal.
2 Taking care not to extend the dough, suit pie meal then trim dough to within 3/4-inch of the edge of the meal. Cool while you make the pie filling.
3 Make pie filling then fill pie.
4 Present 2nd half of dough to a comparable size as in the past. Cut into 3/4-inch strips. Lay 5 strips over filled pie, parallel and similarly spaced from one another. Thoroughly fold back the 2nd and 4th strips then lay another strip of dough perpendicular to them. Unfold 2nd and 4th strips over brand-new strip.
5 Fold back the very first, 3rd and 5th strips then lay another strip of dough perpendicular to them. Unfold the very first, 3rd and 5th strips over the brand-new strip. Repeat up until pie has actually been covered with a lattice crust. (See our video above).
6 Cut dough strips to 3/4-inch of the edge of meal. Fold edges of strips and bottom dough below itself, developing a thicker border that rests on the lip of the meal. Crimp edges.
7 Make egg wash by blending egg yolk and cream together then brush over pie dough. Sprinkle tablespoon of coarse sugar over crust. Cool pie 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes before baking.
Adam and Joanne’s Tips
Crimping Edges: To crimp edges of pie, press the guideline finger of one hand versus the edge of the dough from the within the meal while carefully pushing with 2 knuckles of the other hand from the exterior. To see us do it, view our video above.
Previous Post: Easy White Bean Soup
Next Post: Easy Homemade Pumpkin Pie