Traditional magic bars (7-layer bars) are ooey-gooey cookie bars packed with chocolate, butterscotch, coconut, and crispy pecans. They’re simple to make ahead and best for celebrations!
Why You’ll Love These 7-Layer Magic Bars
Whether you understand them as Magic Bars, 7-Layer Bars, or Hey there Dollies, something is particular: these abundant and gooey, chewy cookie bars packed with sweet taste are a retro Midwestern favorite. Here’s why you’re going to like them, too:
- Layers of tasty. These bars have chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, sweet coconut, and pecans layered over a buttery graham cracker crust. It’s a scrumptious dessert bar that’s best to give meals and household events.
- Ooey-gooey. Sweetened condensed milk binds the ingredients in these bars as they bake, making them specifically ooey-gooey with a caramelized taste comparable to dulce de leche.
- Easy to make. The genuine magic of these magic bars is how insane basic they are to make. All it takes is a little layering (typically 7 ingredients, for this reason the alternate name) and a fast bake to get them golden and cozy.
Magic bars resemble little pieces of dessert paradise! If you like no-fuss, simple desserts (I suggest, exists another classification?!), attempt my cherry coconut bars and these timeless ooey gooey bars.
Ingredients You’ll Require
If you’re questioning what you can do with a can of condensed milk, after today, you’ll have your response: make sticky, gooey magic bars! Below are some notes on theingredients Do not forget to scroll to the recipe card for the totals and recipe information.
- Graham Crackers— Squashed into crumbs. You might likewise utilize gingersnaps.
- Butter— Melted to integrate with the graham cracker crumbs for the crust.
- Chocolate Chips — Semisweet chocolate chips. You can likewise utilize dark or milk chocolate chips.
- Butterscotch Chips— You can likewise switch these for peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips.
- Coconut— Sweetened shredded coconut, or unsweetened if you choose. You can likewise avoid the coconut if it’s not your thing.
- Pecans— Sliced pecans or walnuts. The nuts can be toasted or untoasted.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk— Check the labels and ensure that you’re purchasing sweetened condensed milk, and not vaporized milk (see listed below).
Vaporized Milk vs. Sweetened Condensed Milk
The cans may look comparable in the supermarket, however vaporized milk and sweetened condensed milk are not the exact same thing! Sweetened condensed milk is thicker and sweetened. Vaporized milk is thinner and unsweetened, and will not work when making magic bars.
How to Make Magic Bars (7-Layer Bars)
Who’s all set to make some magic occur? These bars are among my preferred throw-it-together, last-minute simple desserts. You’ll quickly see why. Here’s how to make these timeless cookie bars:
- Make the cookie crust. Start by pulsing graham crackers in a food mill, then integrate the crumbs with melted butter and salt. Press the crust mix into the bottom of a greased and lined baking pan.
- Include the layers. Leading your graham cracker crust with chocolate and butterscotch chips, then spray on the coconut and pecans. Put a can of sweetened condensed milk over top.
- Bake. Bake your bars in a 350ºF oven for 25-30 minutes. Later, let them cool totally before slicing them into squares. Voila! Magic.
Tips for the very best 7-Layer Bars
These ooey-gooey magic bars are a cinch to make. Here are some ideas that make the entire procedure that a lot easier:
- Grease and line the pan. It makes elimination and clean-up method simpler.
- Usage store-bought graham cracker crumbs to conserve the action of pulsing the crackers yourself.
- If you do not have a food mill, seal the graham crackers inside a Ziploc bag and have it with a rolling pin. Ensure to get them crushed good and great. I have my kids aid with this action.
- If your baked bars appear soft, or if they’re too gooey to slice, put them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, or over night. It’s the best reason to make these a day beforehand.
- Include a spray of sea salt. By now, you might have become aware of my love affair with Maldon sea salt. I spray it on whatever from salted chocolate cookies to sweet and salted brownies. And, yes, it tastes tasty on these magic bars!
As Soon As you have your cookie base and your sweetened condensed milk, what you layer in between depends on you! There are a lot of manner ins which you can adjust these magic bars, here are simply a couple of simple concepts:
- Various crust. In location of a graham cracker crust, switch the graham crackers for gingersnaps, wafers, or Biscoff cookies.
- Nut-free. If you’re making this recipe without nuts, merely leave out the pecans.
- More add-ins. Modification out any of your magic bar add-ins for mini marshmallows, dried fruit, toffee bits, or M&M s.
- Caramel. Drizzle the tops of your bars with homemade caramel sauce.
How to Shop
Shop these magic bars in an airtight container on the counter top for as much as 5 days. You can likewise keep them in the refrigerator for as much as 1 week.
Can I Freeze Magic Bars?
Yes! Freeze the cooled magic bars airtight for as much as 1 month. Defrost the bars at space temperature level.
Traditional 7-layer magic bars are ooey-gooey cookie bars packed with chocolate, butterscotch, coconut, and crispy pecans. These are simple to make ahead and best for celebrations!
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs ( 12 full-size crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch morsels
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cups sliced pecans
- 1 (14-ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Line a 13 × 9 baking meal with parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray. Reserve.
- Process graham crackers utilizing a food mill to make great crumbs. In a medium bowl stir together the crumbs, salt, and melted butter up until integrated. Press the mix uniformly into the bottom of the ready baking pan.
- Leading the graham cracker layer uniformly with chocolate chips, butterscotch morsels, coconut, and pecans. Put the sweetened condensed milk over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes up until golden brown. Eliminate from the oven and cool totally.
- Cut into squares.
- Shop in an airtight container at space temperature level for 5 days or fridge for 7 days.
- Freeze airtight for as much as one month for finest freshness. Defrost at space temperature level.
Keywords: magic bars, magic bars recipe, 7 layer bars recipe
Wish To Conserve This Recipe?
Discover more recipes like this: