This is the outright BEST Linzer Cookies recipe ever! These beautiful and simple cookies are buttery, flaky shortbread filled with sweet jam and cleaned with powdered sugar. A Christmas Cookie Classic!
- LInzer Cookies are a traditional cookie recipe and I have actually refined the fond memories while likewise keeping this simple.
- Just A Few ingredients required.
- No requirement to chill the dough
- This is a naturally egg-free/nut complimentary recipe
- Versatile! You can utilize variations in extract tastes and filling tastes to truly make these precisely how you like!
While Linzer Cookies are most popular around the vacations, they definitely are a cookie that can be delighted in all year. I will confess, I needed to google this. Obviously, I have actually been consuming Linzer Cookies permanently, however it never ever struck me to question why they’re called “Linzer”. So I believed it may be an enjoyable to discover their origin story!
Linzer Cookies are called after a Linzer Torte, which was come from Linz, Austria. The torte is a pastry typically filled with black currant protects and topped with a lattice crust. So the cookies take the exact same concept and tastes of the torte, however the dough is cut into cookies rather and sandwiched with the protects. The eliminated shape on the top mimics the lattice crust!
If These Are Linzer Cookies, Where are the Nuts?
I understand a few of you guys will have problems that there are no almonds or nut taste in this recipe, as there remain in a standard torte. You can definitely include almond extract if you choose that taste! I understand some even utilize almond flour in location of all function flour, however I do not choose that texture!
These cookie sandwiches are really really easy to make. The dough is quite like shortbread cookies, and you can acquire scrumptious, high quality protects at any regional grocery store nowadays.
What Do You Required For the Dough?
Just 5 ingredients are needed, and ensure to head to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the measurements and complete guidelines!
- Butter. I utilize salted butter in mine, however you can definitely utilize saltless butter too.
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Kosher Salt
- All Function Flour
You might definitely include more taste to the dough if you would like, such as:
- Lemon Enthusiasm
- Almond Extract
Why is my dough dry?
Among the problems I hear usually from this recipe is that the dough was too dry and crumbly. Yes, this is a drier dough, however it should not collapse apart. I guarantee the recipe works as composed, as I have actually made these cookies time and time once again!
Exist Expected To Be Eggs In Linzer Cookie Dough?
Nope. The cookies are more like shortbread not sugar cookies, no entire eggs or egg yolk are required. Nevertheless I have actually had individuals include an egg or more and state they came out ok. I can’t talk to that nevertheless.
Do You Need To Utilize Biscuit Cutters?
No, obviously not! Any shape will work. I have this set of biscuit cutters thatI utilize all the time and they’re excellent, however if you do not wish to purchase them you can utilize any 2- inch round cutter. Or to be sincere you might truly utilize any shape you would like!
You can utilize practically any taste you choose! I like raspberry jam and strawberry jam best, however here are some other concepts:
- Black Currant (the standard option)
- Do not wish to utilize fruit filling? Attempt Nutella, dulce de leche, peanut butter, or cookie butter!
Oh yes, definitely! You can freeze the completed cookies in an airtight container for approximately 2 months. You will require to re-dust them with powdered sugar, as that will melt when they thaw, however beyond that, these are fantastic to freeze!
Can You Freeze the Cookie Dough?
Sure! Make the dough, flatten it into a disk as mentioned in the recipe and freeze it easily! I do suggest defrosting it in the fridge since the dough must be cooled to hold the shape of the cutter.
If you have actually never ever attempted Linzer Cookies, you absolutely must provide a shot!
Trying To Find More Christmas Cookie Recipes? Attempt These:
Linzer Cookies are a traditional vacation cookie recipe! Usage whatever protects you like finest!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, space temperature level
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups all function flour
- 3/4 cup raspberry or strawberry protects
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle accessory blend the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes. Include the vanilla and salt and mix till integrated.
- Turn mixer to low and include the flour, blending till simply integrated.
- Get rid of the dough, flatten it into a disk and cover in stick wrap. Cool for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and reserved.
- Get rid of the dough from the fridge and let it sit for 10 minutes, to take the chill off.
- Dust a tidy counter with flour and utilizing a rolling pin, roll the dough out to 1/4- inch thick.
- Eliminate the dough utilizing a round 2- inch round biscuit cutter or cookie cutter. In half of the rounds, eliminated circle (or shape) in the centers. You can utilize a little cookie cutter, and even the back of a piping pointer.
- Location the dough on the ready flat pan and location flat pan in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. When the oven is preheated, get rid of the baking sheet from the freezer and bake for 18-20 minutes, or till the edges are gently golden.
- Transfer the cookie to a cake rack to cool totally.
- As soon as cooled, spread out about 1 teaspoon of protects on the bottoms of the strong cookies. Carefully push the eliminated cookies on top of the protects.
- Dust all the cookies with powdered sugar.
Shop airtight at space temperature level for approximately 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Salt: 32.2 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.5 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 18.3 mg
Keywords: cookies and cups, linzer cookies, christmas cookies, cookie recipe, linzer cookie recipe, linzer tart cookies, how to make linzer cookies, simple linzer cookies
Wish To Conserve This Recipe?
Discover more recipes like this: