We like this up-to-date, fresh take on traditional green bean casserole. Believe the traditional, however even much better with fresh green beans, a simple mushroom cream sauce, and homemade crispy shallots. Our green bean casserole recipe is simple to make and will knock the socks off anything made with a can.
⭐ Have a look a more traditional Vacation recipes!
Why we like this green bean casserole recipe
- Fresh green beans: No mushy canned beans here! We utilize fresh green beans for the very best texture and taste. Keep in mind that frozen beans will operate in our recipe, however we choose fresh.
- Creamy, tasty sauce: Our homemade cream sauce is made with genuine ingredients like mushrooms, milk, and cheese, making it a lot more tasty than when made with canned soup.
- Crispy shallots: These include taste and texture, taking your green bean casserole to the next level. They are simple to make and will maintain to 2 weeks.
We serve this traditional casserole for Thanksgiving however like it throughout the holiday. See our suggestions listed below for making ahead of time. For more Thanksgiving recipes, take a look at our finest roast turkey recipe, these velvety mashed potatoes, and our simple herb stuffing.
For the very best green bean casserole, I like utilizing fresh green beans Canned green beans end up being too mushy for me, and while frozen green beans will operate in a pinch, frozen beans have less crunch. If you do not have access to fresh beans, utilize thawed frozen green beans.
Rather of canned mushroom soup, we make our own velvety sauce with butter, milk, great deals of mushrooms, and Gruyère cheese. The base of the sauce resembles the cheese sauce utilized for macaroni and cheese. It’s basic to make and tastes a lot better than canned!
If you have a difficult time discovering Gruyère or discover that it’s too pricey, switch the Gruyère for another melty cheese like white cheddar. White cheddar is likewise a terrific choice If you desire a vegetarian green bean casserole.
For the crispy topping– a need to if you ask me– attempt our recipe for crispy shallots listed below, or utilize your preferred store-bought crispy onions like French’s. If you have actually never ever made crispy shallots before, prepare yourself; you’ll discover it difficult to stop consuming them! They are so tasty. We likewise include crispy shallots to this simple green bean salad and like it!
Recipe summary. Easy green bean casserole from scratch in 4 actions!
- Blanch fresh green beans for 5 minutes, then wash under cold water to cool– makes them intense green and crisp.
- Make mushroom cream sauce, then stir in cheese.
- Toss blanched green beans with the velvety sauce, put into a casserole meal, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Leading with homemade crispy shallots (recipe listed below) or store-bought crispy onions. Serve!
Our green bean casserole sauce has a lot taste thanks to a pound of mushrooms, garlic, and shallots. We cut the mushrooms little by hand, however you can blitz them in a food mill if you wish to minimize the prep time.
Milk and cheese make our sauce additional velvety. We like Gruyère, however a moderate to medium sharp white cheddar likewise works perfectly.
Take a look at those vibrantly colored green beans! They are so green since we blanched them initially. It’s basic to do and enhances color and texture in the baked casserole. It likewise just takes 5 minutes, so we extremely suggest it.
Green bean casserole takes 20 to 25 minutes to bake in a 350 ° F oven. If your oven is a little hotter or cooler since of another meal likewise in the oven, you need to be great. You are trying to find the sauce to be bubbling around the edges and the green beans to be tender and a little old and wrinkly.
Can you make green bean casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make green bean casserole ahead of time. Here’s how we do it:
- Preparation and Assemble: Follow our recipe for green bean casserole approximately the point where you have actually assembled it in your casserole meal– this indicates blanching the green beans and tossing them in the velvety mushroom sauce.
- Refrigerate: Cover the casserole meal firmly with cling wrap or aluminum foil.
- Shop: Shop the covered casserole meal in the fridge for approximately 3 days. When all set to bake, include 2 to 5 additional minutes to the bake time to represent being cold from the refrigerator.
Making the crispy shallot topping ahead of time: Our homemade crispy shallots are the ideal ending up touch. Here’s how to make them approximately 2 weeks ahead of time (do your finest not to treat on them!):
- Prepare and Drain Pipes: Prepare the crispy shallots according to ourrecipe After cooking, drain them completely on paper towels to get rid of excess oil.
- Cool and Shop: Let the crispy shallots cool totally to space temperature level. Then, keep them in an airtight container for approximately 2 weeks.
What’s the very best method to reheat green bean casserole?
To reheat the entire meal of remaining green bean casserole, slide it into a 350 ° F oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. For a smaller sized part, utilize the microwave– 1 to 2 minutes need to work.
The crispy shallots will lose their crunch when keeping and reheating the casserole. If you have leftovers, spread a couple of fresh crispy shallots (or store-bought crispy onions) over the reheated casserole before serving.
Can you freeze green bean casserole?
Regrettably, we do not believe green bean casserole freezes extremely well. This recipe is finest when made fresh. We have actually supplied suggestions above for making it a day or more ahead of time.
Fresh Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
Our homemade green bean casserole is made from scratch, beginning with fresh green beans tossed in a velvety sauce. The sauce is extremely tasty, thanks to mushrooms and melty cheese. Then, to take this casserole over the top, we include great deals of homemade crispy shallots right before serving.
You Will Require
Green Bean Casserole
1 1/2 pounds (680g) green beans, snipped and halved
1 pound (450g) crimini mushrooms, carefully sliced
6 tablespoons (85g) butter
3 cloves garlic, minced, about 1 tablespoon minced
2 medium shallots, very finely sliced
1/2 cup (120ml) dry gewurztraminer, see notes
2 tablespoons (16g) all-purpose flour
2 cups (470ml) entire or reduced-fat milk
2 cups shredded (8oz or 225g) Gruyère cheese, see notes
1/2 teaspoon (3g) great sea salt, or more to taste
Crispy fried shallots (recipe listed below) or utilize store-bought fried onions
Crispy Fried Shallots
6 medium shallots, very finely sliced into rings
1 1/2 cups (355ml) safflower, veggie or canola oil
- Prepare Green Beans
1 Preheat oven to 350 ° F (176 ° C).
2 Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil. Include green beans and cook for 5 minutes. Drain pipes and wash under cold water to cool. Reserve.
- Make Mushroom Sauce
1 Melt butter in the pot utilized to prepare the green beans over medium heat. Include mushrooms, garlic, and shallots. Cover and prepare for thirty minutes, stirring periodically. Minimize heat if the veggies start to brown too rapidly.
2 Include gewurztraminer and cook, exposed, till nearly totally minimized.
3 Stir in flour and cook till no longer bumpy.
4 Slowly blend in milk and give a simmer.
5 Stir in cheese till melted and the sauce is smooth. Season with salt to taste, beginning with 1/4 teaspoon.
- Bake Casserole
1 Include prepared green beans to the sauce and toss till well layered. Transfer the mix to a casserole meal.
2 Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or till the sauce is bubbling around the green beans.
- Make Crispy Shallots
1 While the casserole bakes, heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
2 Include shallots and cook gradually, stirring periodically, till light brown and crispy, 5 to 10 minutes. You are technically pan frying, however treat it as sluggish roasting the shallots in oil.
3 Get rid of from oil and drain on paper towels.
Adam and Joanne’s Tips
- Red wine for cooking: Select a dry gewurztraminer you delight in. We usually search for a dry, crisp gewurztraminer such as Pinot Grigio, Albarino, Sauvignon Blanc, and unoaked Chardonnay.
- Red wine replacement: Usage veggie or chicken broth.
- Gruyère cheese: We like the taste and melt element of Gruyère, however in some cases discover that it’s really pricey. It’s likewise not vegetarian-friendly due to animal rennet, so to minimize expense or to make this casserole vegetarian-friendly, replace the Gruyère for your preferred white cheddar.
- Nutrition truths: The nutrition truths supplied below are price quotes. We have actually utilized the USDA database to determine approximate worths.
Nutrition Per Serving
1 of 8 portions