This sugar cookies recipe is the just one I utilize– specifically for vacations like Christmas! The recipe is basic and the dough is best for cut-out cookie embellishing with no chill time required! If you’re trying to find a sure-fire, buttery sugar cookie recipe this is it.
Among the most typical concerns I receive from readers is: “Do you have a best sugar cookie recipe?”
And the response is YES! This cut-out sugar cookie recipe is the one I have actually been utilizing for 14 years. I have not differed this recipe because I began making it a lot of years back due to the fact that its excellence. I am insane delighted about today! I revealing you how to make sugar cookies from scratch!
- Easy. You do not require to be a specialist cookie maker to bake up these cookies.
- Delicious. The taste is buttery and tasty! The edges are crisp and sweet, and the centers are soft with a tender texture.
- No Chill. The dough does not require to be cooled before rolling and eliminating shapes.
- Perfect for Designing. These cookies hold crisp edges when baked. They’re best for all shapes of cookie cutters and embellishing.
You’ll just require a couple of ingredients to make these timeless sugar cookies. Here’s a fast list with my notes to ensure you have whatever. ( See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for particular quantities.)
- Butter. I utilize salted butter, however that’s an individual choice. If you choose saltless, or that’s all you have definitely utilize that.
- Vanilla. I constantly advise utilizing pure vanilla extract.
- Granulated Sugar
- Dry Ingredients: Baking Powder, All Function Flour, and Kosher Salt. If you do not have kosher you can utilize salt, however I would advise cutting down on the quantity by half so you do not over-salt your cookies. Salt is a finer grain than kosher, so you will wind up with more.
- Powdered Sugar. The base of the icing.
- Light Corn Syrup. Sweetens the icing and includes the shiny texture.
- Attempt a various taste profile. You can utilize almond extract … or coconut, or rum, and even a citrus like lemon or orange extract. All these would taste fantastic! Start by utilizing 1/2 teaspoon and increase the total up to taste. Almond extract is a more powerful taste than vanilla and I discover you can utilize a little less.
- Include some mini chocolate chips. Minis will still deal with cookie cutters and will bake up magnificently in thisrecipe
- Mix in some nuts. Include sliced nuts like pecans, walnuts, and even pistachios. Ensure they are carefully sliced so that they do not hinder your cookie cutters.
- Usage brown sugar in location of granulated. This may trigger the cookies to spread out somewhat more than granulated due to the wetness material, however not in a large method. You may just see this is you are utilizing a detailed cutter.
- Do not replace margarine or butter flavored reducing I in some cases even spend lavishly on an elegant European butter when making these sugar cookies, due to the fact that there is a greater fat material, and while it’s not fantastic for your thighs, it does assist produce a more tasty, abundant cookie!
- Usage qualityingredients When you’re making sugar cookies, you desire them to taste excellent, ideal? So ensure you’re high quality butter and vanilla specifically. These are the 2 tastes that actually shine through, so utilize fresh butter and excellent vanilla!
- Utilize a stand mixer fitted with the paddle accessory You can utilize a hand mixer if you choose, however making these cookies without a mixer is hard due to the fact that you wish to cream your butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. AND there is a great deal of flour in these, and the dough can get difficult to blend by hand.
- Deal with areas of dough at a time. Divide the dough into areas when rolling it out to deal with the dough less. The more you manage it, the warmer it gets, and the less the cookies will hold their shape. You can cool the other areas of dough while you deal with one.
- Bake approximately the exact same sized cookies. While it’s enjoyable to go out all your various vacation cookie cutters, attempt your finest to utilize consistently sized shapes that method each batch will bake equally. Given that you’re diving the dough into 3 areas this is an excellent method to utilize 3 cutters for each batch. That method you have range, however likewise will make sure even baking!
- Do not stress over dispersing. Obviously you do not wish to overcrowd the cookie sheet due to the fact that you require air blood circulation, however you do not need to leave a great deal of area in between the cookies, as they do not spread out much!
Ok, let’s talk. Chilling cookie dough is frustrating. I get it. SO, this eliminated sugar cookie recipe needs no cooling. Are you delighted? Let’s speak about what that implies …
- Usage cold butter: To make the cookie dough somewhat cooled right when it’s made. Simply cube the cold butter when you blend it with your sugar and it will be great! You blend the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes, so whatever will be blended. Simply ensure to scrape the sides of the blending bowl as needed so whatever is integrated equally.
- Can I chill the dough if I wish to? If you are prepping your vacation baking ahead of time and would choose to chill the dough so you have actually things made ahead you definitely can. It isn’t going to harm the dough.
- What about complex cookie shapes? Does cooling aid? What if you are utilizing a really complex cookie cutter and wish to ensure you have exact edges? If I am utilizing a really in-depth cutter what I will do is make the dough, roll it out, eliminated my cookie and pop it in the refrigerator to chill for 30 or two minutes. This isn’t needed, however if you’re worried, it’s an action that can’t harm.
This is a really typical issue I receive from readers, whether it be this sugar cookie recipe recipe or any other cookierecipe Cookie will either get too dark, or not dark enough. Obviously bake time matters– overbaking and underbaking can lead to too dark or not dark sufficient cookies.
However the most typical perpetrator? Utilizing the incorrect cookie sheet! Here are some things to remember when selecting the very best cookie sheet for your eliminated sugar cookies:
- My preferred cookie sheet: THIS COOKIE SHEET has actually been my attempted and real for several years and years. I own 2 and they are my preferred. They are thought about a “nonstick cookie sheet” however I utilize parchment paper to line the pan. My cookies bake equally with the best quantity of golden brown.
- Lighter-colored baking sheets: These tend to make your cookies spread out a bit more and they do not offer a golden edge as quickly, specifically with cut-out cookies.
- Darker-colored baking sheets: Darker, thin baking sheet will offer you a golden edge, and your cookies will not spread out almost as much, providing you exact edges.
- Parchment paper or silicone mats: These assist with even baking and avoid the cookies from browning too quick.
If you wish to make all the dough and eliminate all the shapes before baking you can position the cup out dough onto your prepped baking sheets and pop those in the fridge till you’re prepared to bake. This is an excellent alternative when you have a hectic cookie baking day around the vacations. Obviously having additional cookie sheets assists!
Shop your cookies in an airtight container on the counter at space temperature level. They will keep for as much as 5 days, though I believe you will consume them all well before then. Keep in mind that if you have iced them ensure you offer the icing time to totally set and solidify before you stack the cookies in a container.
Can I Freeze Sugar Cookies?
YES!! You can definitely freeze sugar cookies (or the dough)! Here’s how …
- Baked sugar cookies. Enable the sugar cookies to cool totally, then move to a freezer-safe container or ziploc bag, with parchment paper separating the layers. Keep in mind that you need to freeze your Christmas sugar cookies before embellishing.
- Sugar cookie dough. Additionally, you can freeze the dough for later on. Wrap the dough in cling wrap then location in a ziploc bag.
- The length of time do frozen sugar cookies last? Either the frozen dough or frozen baked cookies will benefit one month in your freezer.
This Sugar Cookie Recipe is the only eliminate cookie recipe I utilize. I have actually been baking these cookies for several years and have actually discovered it be the most tasty and sure-fire eliminated cookie recipe ever!
- 2 cups ( 4 sticks) cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups all function flour
Sugar Cookie Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and reserved.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle accessory blend the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes till light and fluffy.
- Include the eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and continue blending till integrated and smooth, scraping the sides of bowl as needed.
- Turn the mixer speed to low and include the flour, blending till the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into 3 areas and on a floured working surface area roll the dough to 1/3 inch thick. Utilizing a cookie cutter, eliminated shapes of the dough with your preferred cutter( s) and position the cookies on the ready flat pan 1 1/2 inches apart. If you are baking in batches, keep the unused dough in the fridge till prepared to utilize to avoid dough from getting too warm.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes till the edges are gently golden. Enable the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and after that move them to a cake rack to cool totally.
- In a bowl, blend together the powdered sugar, water, and corn syrup till smooth.
- Spread or pipeline onto cooled cookies. You can utilize a drop of food coloring to accomplish various colors. Enable the icing to establish totally before keeping.
- You can chill the dough if preferred, before or after cutting the cookies out. See pointers in the post for all the information.
- Shop airtight at space temperature level for as much as 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie without icing
- Calories: 323
- Sugar: 16.8 g
- Salt: 58.4 mg
- Fat: 16.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.2 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 56.2 mg
Keywords: sugar cookies, sugar cookies recipe, eliminated sugar cookie recipe, Christmas sugar cookies, simple sugar cookies recipe
Wish To Conserve This Recipe?
Discover more recipes like this: